Software Development Manager / Director of Engineering
Salary: £100,000 base + bonus + benefits.
Our client: An international $Billion+ revenues software and services specialist delivering innovative solutions to the Banking, Financial Trading, Investment Banking sectors with market leading and globally used solutions for Financial Market Compliance (FMC) solutions, Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Fraud (Detection & Prevention), Brokerage / Trading floor / Dealing Room voice & data recording (Communications Compliance), Customer Engagement and Customer Journey solutions.
With over 5000 people worldwide in more than 100 countries they are a true global player.
They are looking for a Software Development Manager to lead, develop and mentor a team of 20 engineers; you must have experience of leading teams of this size.
This position will hire, lead and manage a group software engineers that design, develop, release, maintain, troubleshoot and debug the SPM application for SaaS and On-premise. Provide leadership through coaching, feedback, development goals, and performance management.
The role is based in Bracknell. The role is the most senior employee at the site and as such incorporates the role of Site Manager.
This is a unique opportunity to work with a world class engineering team. Your leadership and desire for high quality software engineering and work methodologies will dictate the ongoing success of this team.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about building products that are used by millions of users and a team of highly qualified software engineers. This position calls for a seasoned professional who can play a lead role in the handling escalations when necessary, and actively participating in all aspects of day-to-day engineering management from product and technology direction to process improvements.
- Line management of the Engineering team of 20 Engineers. Comfortable managing an R&D team with deep product and technical knowledge that operates with a high degree of autonomy.
- Work closely with the Product Manager to define product deliverables and build the product roadmap.
- Interview and hire new staff. Undertake performance reviews and provide appropriate feedback. Manage low performers.
- Be the face of R&D for prospects and customers. Be prepared to take responsibility in front of the customer when things go wrong.
- Responsibility for the technical direction of the product. Work with Sales and Services teams to understand customer challenges and drive technology choices to meet those challenges.
- Build and maintain a good relationship with key customers.
Candidate should demonstrate
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities. Ability to stay calm and confident under pressure and to provide clear direction to the team, management and customers when tough decisions need to be made on resource and priority.
- Confidence to contribute to Technical design discussions. Be prepared to question and probe technical and product decisions.
- Willingness as site manager take ownership of anything that arises that may affect the team, even if it’s not R&D related. Must be prepared to get involved of all aspects of the business. This includes managing the QA lab, scoping hardware requirements for cloud customers, and troubleshooting issues with hosted and on-premise customers.
- Engage with the wider R&D services operation to ensure that your organisation is well served. Be prepared to fight the teams corner when necessary.
Skills and Experience required
The ideal candidate will have:
- 10+ years of experience in Software Engineering.
- At least 5 year’s experience in managing teams of software developers
- Deep experience with agile software development techniques and pitfalls
- Solid understanding of n-tier architectures
- Experience with Linux operating systems
- Familiarity with Apache and Tomcat concepts required
- Experience developing enterprise-grade software products that can perform, scale, and integrate into a broad enterprise ecosystem.
- Experience developing and supporting hosted and/or multi-tenant software delivered as-a-Service (SaaS).
Syntony is an employment agency working on behalf of client organisations to recruit personnel. In submitting your application you are giving us permission to retain and process your personal details and to contact you via the phone and email details you provide. You can amend this consent at any time by email to email@example.com. For more information: syntony.co.uk/gdpr